Welcome to HIT---How I Teach....In this episode, I explain my methods for teaching sentences and clauses (phrases will be in episode #52).
Here are some of the highlights of this episode:
- CAVES—Capital, All makes sense, Verb, End mark, Subject; how to teach students to recognize a sentence with that acronym (see my CAVES posters and reference ring cards here!) https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Sentence-Building-Posters-and-Reference-Rings-Grammar-Posters-6978892
- Independent clause vs. Dependent clause
- Sentence is independent
- Subordinate clause is dependent
- How to teach students to recognize when they have written a subordinate clause vs. when they have written a sentence
- What are subordinators
- Uses for subordinators
- How to help students memorize MANY subordinators
- The value of using check sentences and mnemonics and clues!
- How to teach the creation of complex sentences using subordinate clauses and real sentences joined legally!
- Much more!
It’s all here in this week’s HIT---where each week, I bring you tips, tricks, and techniques for teaching writing, language arts, grammar, and more (to grades two through twelve) drawing upon my 100+ curriculum books totaling over 50,000 pages.
Note: This lesson came from The Write Right Quick Kit, an upper level, teacher, parent downloadable book!
Find everything you need here!
Weekly broadcast episodes with Teacher's Notebook downloads (and links to listen or watch!) at the Language Arts Lady blog: https://languageartsladyblog.com/howiteach
Master (continually updated) Teacher's Notebook downloadable booklet:https://languageartsladyblog.com/teachersnotebook
Free writing books and videos of me teaching your students for you for a couple of weeks! https://languageartsladyblog.com/5writingfreebies
All of my digital books: https://languageartsladystore.com
How I Teach YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC20OP_HNTUm8eBMNgMh06sQ
How I Teach Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-i-teach/id1552986393